Monday, February 2, 2015

Blog Post 88-98

Blog Post 88-98

It is important to keep in mind how to properly construct any type of message in business.  The presence of any errors, offending comments, or typos can ruin the intent and reputation of any company.  The best way that I learned to approach any kind of writing is called process writing.  It consists of four stages, which are: planning, drafting, revising, and editing.  For my personal benefit, I also included another stage at the end called peer review.  I learned this process from my first English professor in college who I also had for the second English course as well.  I found this method very effective.  The extra step that I added was sometimes used in the course, but it was not listed as a stage.

Many people tend to neglect the planning stage.  However, I find it to be one of the most critical of all the stages.  My professor taught us to do this in the best fashion of our choice, which is why most people neglected it I theorize.  I found that brainstorming and free writing were the most effective methods for planning because it produced the best results for me.  When it came time to drafting, I felt as if I never ran out of ideas, and sometimes new ideas would branch out of old ideas while writing.  This is where a lot of other students struggled because of the lack of prewriting.

When it came the time to revise and edit, I found it better to just combine the two stages into one.  Basically, I would call it review where revising is correcting the organization and content, and editing is correcting the punctuation, grammar, wording, and sentence structure.  By combining the two stages, I would save time and understand my own writing style better.

The peer review was particularly important to me like the planning stage because it would give me an extra opinion and perspective about my writing.  This part would especially be important in the business world because it would catch any issues that would be normally invisible to the writer before reaching the audience.  In the work place, a coworker or superior would suffice just like a classmate in school.  This third party approach would also remove any bias or even add important details that would otherwise be lacking.

For my question to the reader, I would ask what is your approach when it comes to writing any kind of work, if there is any?


Bovée, Courtland L., and John V. Thill. "Achieving Success Through Effective Business Communication." Business Communication Today. 12th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. 2014. Print.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a very similar concept. This could help out a lot of struggling writers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found in the past that when it comes to a writing process I pretty much don't have one. Typically when it comes time for me to write an essay or anything else I do not spend any time thinking about what I am going to write before I actually get to writing. I understand it is important to engage in the planning stage I have just never really been able to sit down and think about writing without ending up just diving into the writing. I also do not often engage in peer review and typically just review my own work. By adding simple steps to my writing process, or lack there of, the quality of my work could improve greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, I follow a very similar approach to yours when I am creating a piece of writing. But the main difference is that due to the lack of time that I have when composing my writing assignments I spend a little more time in the the planning stage and write the work as quickly as possible following the plans that I have created. Then I spend a lot of time revising the work and re-reading it to ensure there are no grammatical errors and the work is coherent and relevant. I have found this to be efficient and effective in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My approach is as follows.

    1: Draft. The first version is never my final version. I always read it over out loud and re-write/re-work as I go through it.

    2: Keep it simple. There is no need for use of extravagant words or complicated sentence structure when a simpler one could get your point across better.

    3: Triple check. While this goes along with the first person, I always read it through one more time to check tone, spelling, grammar, word usage, and flow to ensure that I come across and make my point in the way I intend.

    By using this approach, I have found some success in achieving my intended goals in writing. However, this does not mean my writing is perfect by any means, for I believe we will always have room to improve in everything in life, especially writing.

    ReplyDelete